Administrators in the ELN can create and edit the set of custom ELN Fields. This process is similar to the way Vault Administrators create and edit the Activity & Registration Batch fields. Vault Administrators may also request that the ability for users to link to objects from multiple CDD Vaults within an ELN entry be activated by contacting CDD Support.
If you prefer a video tutorial, please have a look at this short YouTube clip:
The ELN fields are located above the body of each ELN Entry and they can be used to group and further organize Teams, Projects, Labs etc.
Create a new ELN Field:
- Log in as a CDD Vault Administrator, go to the Settings tab, select Vault, and click on ELN Fields.
- Now click the "Add/Edit ELN Fields" pencil icon at the upper right hand side of the page to enter into the ELN Fields Edit mode.
- In this form, you can edit existing fields, delete them or reorder them using the "drag" icon on the right side of the page. Note that the Project field at the top of the list is not editable. Projects are used in the permissions and security throughout CDD Vault.
- To add a new ELN field, click the "Add ELN Field" link at the bottom of the field list and you will be taken to the form to create a new one.
- Fill out the form by entering the following:
- The name of your new field
- The field type for the field. (Selecting Date will bring up the calendar tool when you enter this field. Pick List will prompt you to enter the choices that will be given when the user clicks on this field.)
- If you check the Unique box then an entry into this field must be a unique identifier for the ELN Entry.
- When a field’s Required box is checked the User will not be allowed to create an ELN Entry without filling out the box.
- Once the form is complete, click on the green Update ELN Fields button to commit the new field to your ELN.
After committing the ELN field changes, they will appear for all users in all projects when they create a new ELN Entry.
For users who only use ELN:
Please note, that you will have to setup your Vault with a minimum of at least one project and assign user at the very least to this project. The Vault serves as the underlying depository for your data-capturing in the ELN. For details on how to set-up vault projects and users, please see our introductory article here.